- 1 What are three ways scientists can predict volcanic eruptions?
- 2 What instruments do scientists use to predict volcanic eruptions?
- 3 What methods do scientists use to predict volcanic eruptions select all that apply?
- 4 What country has the most volcanoes?
- 5 Can we predict volcanoes?
- 6 Which is the most active volcano in the Philippines?
- 7 What are the six types of volcano monitoring?
- 8 Can volcanic eruptions be stopped?
- 9 What are the signs of volcanic eruption?
- 10 Can scientists predict earthquakes now?
- 11 What helps create volcanoes?
- 12 Which country has no volcano?
- 13 What is the most powerful volcano on Earth?
- 14 What are the 5 most active volcanoes?
What are three ways scientists can predict volcanic eruptions?
Scientists use a wide variety of techniques to monitor volcanoes, including seismographic detection of the earthquakes and tremor that almost always precede eruptions, precise measurements of ground deformation that often accompanies the rise of magma, changes in volcanic gas emissions, and changes in gravity and
What instruments do scientists use to predict volcanic eruptions?
Seismographs. Seismographs measure movement in the planet’s crust. Volcanic eruptions are closely related to the seismic activities that also cause earthquakes and tremors, so seismographs are also often used to monitor volcanoes.
What methods do scientists use to predict volcanic eruptions select all that apply?
The methods scientists use to predict volcanic eruptions are the same methods used to predict earthquakes, measurements from seismograph and tiltmeters, [ and tracking sulfur dioxide gas emissions with COSPEC. ] This answer has been confirmed as correct and helpful.
What country has the most volcanoes?
Mapped: The Countries With the Most Volcanoes – Where Does Indonesia Rank?
- United States – 173.
- Russia – 166.
- Indonesia – 139.
- Japan – 112.
- Chile – 104.
- Ethiopia – 57.
- Papua New Guinea – 53.
- Philippines – 50.
Can we predict volcanoes?
Volcanologists can predict eruptions—if they have a thorough understanding of a volcano’s eruptive history, if they can install the proper instrumentation on a volcano well in advance of an eruption, and if they can continuously monitor and adequately interpret data coming from that equipment.
Which is the most active volcano in the Philippines?
- Mayon in Albay is the most active volcano in the Philippines.
- Taal in Batangas.
- Kanlaon in Negros island.
- Bulusan in Sorsogon.
- Smith in Calayan.
- Hibok‑Hibok in Camiguin.
- Pinatubo in Zambales.
- Musuan in Bukidnon.
What are the six types of volcano monitoring?
To fully understand a volcano’s behavior, monitoring should include several types of observations (earthquakes, ground movement, volcanic gas, rock chemistry, water chemistry, remote satellite analysis) on a continuous or near-real-time basis.
Can volcanic eruptions be stopped?
To date there have been no successful efforts to start, stop or reduce a volcanic eruption; however, the ideas exists and discussion is underway. Other techniques to control an eruption could include depressurization of the magma chamber or increasing the aperture of the vent to diffuse the energy of an eruption.
What are the signs of volcanic eruption?
How can we tell when a volcano will erupt?
- An increase in the frequency and intensity of felt earthquakes.
- Noticeable steaming or fumarolic activity and new or enlarged areas of hot ground.
- Subtle swelling of the ground surface.
- Small changes in heat flow.
- Changes in the composition or relative abundances of fumarolic gases.
Can scientists predict earthquakes now?
“Neither the USGS nor any other scientists have ever predicted a major earthquake. “USGS scientists can only calculate the probability that a significant earthquake will occur in a specific area within a certain number of years.”
What helps create volcanoes?
On land, volcanoes form when one tectonic plate moves under another. Usually a thin, heavy oceanic plate subducts, or moves under, a thicker continental plate. When this happens, the ocean plate sinks into the mantle.
Which country has no volcano?
On our planet, there are many countries that do not have Volcanoes in their country. such countries which do not have volcanoes are Nigeria, Malawi, Zimbabwe, Djibouti, Somalia, Morocco, Tunisia, Liberia, Norway, Denmark, Wales, Finland, Sweden, and Australia.
What is the most powerful volcano on Earth?
Rising gradually to more than 4 km (2.5 mi) above sea level, Hawaii’s Mauna Loa is the largest active volcano on our planet.
What are the 5 most active volcanoes?
The World’s Five Most Active Volcanoes
- Intro. (Image credit: Jesse Allen)
- Sangay, Ecuador – 94 years. (Image credit: Ecuador Ministry of Tourism)
- Santa María, Guatemala – 101 years. (Image credit: dreamstime)
- Stromboli, Italy – 108 years. (Image credit: stock.xchng)
- Mount Etna, Italy – 109 years.
- Mount Yasur, Vanautu – 111 years.